Thursday, September 3, 2009

Kids in the Kitchen ~ Bread Crumbs

My entire family comes over for dinner once a week and we always have Italian food. The dishes always come with a lot of Italian bread, which no one eats so we always have a ton leftover that always ends up being thrown away. Recently Emily and I have started making it into breadcrumbs. I also added the ends of the whole wheat bread that no one wants to eat either and also always gets thrown away.It is so easy to do and makes me feel good that the bread is not going to waste.



Emily putting the dried pieces of bread into the food processor.


Our Homemade Bread Crumbs

We take whatever bread we have in the house that we are not going to eat or is kind of stale and break it into smaller pieces on a baking sheet. I bake it at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes or until it is dried out. Then we put the pieces into the food processor until the crumbs are the size you want. I like mine very fine, however my grandma loves big crumbs. I like to season mine with Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and pepper before I put them in an airtight container. We actually just keep filling up the bread crumb container from the store. My plan is to never have to buy breadcrumbs again!!!

Head over to A Little Fun With Me and Lu for some other Kids in the Kitchen recipes!


6 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh I love to make homemade breadcrumbs, but always forget too, they do taste so much better!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Sounds yummy - I was going to check "Kids in the Kitchen" for more kids-friendly recipes too.

Ticia said...

Great idea. I'll have to do that soon.

Christy Killoran said...

I love homemade bread crumbs. They definitely taste better. I never thought of seasoning mine that way though so I'll definitely try it. Sometimes I throw in some ground flax seed or ground nuts.

Sarah said...

I need to remember to do this. Whatever we don't use goes to the birds....

So what kinds of things do you use breadcrumbs in?

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

I've started making homemade croutons with our leftover bread. My question is, how long do the breadcrumbs and croutons etc. stay good for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails